Monday, May 24, 2010

Free Enterprise is SASSy!


I totally don't get the message of this tour bus.  Take a Free Enterprise bus ride or . . . it's a bus ride?


Take a Free Enterprise bus ride because . . . buses lift you higher than airplanes?  . . . Iwo Jima?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all in favor of free enterprise for the tourists.  One of my faves -- a free enterprise purist, if you will -- is the busker who preys on relies on the kindness of the tourists outside ESPN Zone and the Hard Rock Cafe.  I don't know his name, but I will call him SASSy:  the Short Attention Span Saxophonist.

I've heard SASSy countless times.  But I've never heard SASSy play an entire song, or even both verse and chorus of the same song.  SASSy plays about 5 bars of a song and then stops and switches to another song.  Which he'll play about 5 bars of.  His repertoire consists of about half a dozen songs, tops.  Today, I heard SASSy play less than 30 seconds of each of the following:  Sesame Street theme song, Flintstones theme song, Take Five, and one of the songs from Wizard of Oz (Ding Dong the Witch is Dead, maybe?).

SASSy sucks.  The tourists love him.  They applaud him.  They give him money, which, in the Free Enterprise system, only encourages him.  Did I say I was all in favor of free enterprise for tourists?

No comments: