Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Courthouse Cross Edition


Hello all. After my last dispatch this evening, I brought a thermos of coffee to my friend Ann over at the Miller County (Arkansas) courthouse. She's the county clerk and, I believe, election commissioner. In any case, she has to stay until all the precincts in the county bring the votes in. I brought my camera and little Dascher in hopes of getting him an election photo op. I got so much more. Enjoy the photo above of Dash and me with the precinct map. And Dash in the official county records vault (real scary vault door) with Ann in front of old election minutes:

And an awesome built in clock in this WPA-built courthouse:





And the "what happens in Arkansas stays in Arkansas" marraige license sign:


No sibling jokes, please.

But the real gem is the courthouse cross with bible:



I've been in that building a number of times (car registration, visiting Ann, etc.) and can't believe I've never seen it before. The bible is glued down onto the cross (I checked), though whether this is to prevent its theft by poor believers or ACLU-radical types is anyone's guess. And I thought this was going to be a religion-free dispatch. I don't know what I was thinking. It is, after all, Texarkana.

Love from the trenches,
Jessica

No comments: