(photo by uncredited co-worker, to protect the innocent)
On the way back to the office after getting coffee this morning, a co-worker made me stop and watch this protest.
Apparently this was one of a series of protests today (and this weekend) in DC. So what was this group protesting? A law firm in the building, according to the guy passing out flyers. The conversation went something like this:
- Me: So, what are y'all protesting?
- Flyer guy: This law firm.
- Co-worker: Why?
- Flyer guy: They're one of the biggest lobbyists there is.
- Me: Huh? Are you protesting the firm or its clients?
- Flyer guy: Um . . .
- Me: I mean, is your problem that they lobby? Or their lobbying on behalf of a particular client?
- Flyer guy: They lobby for the slumlords.
- Co-worker: The slumlord trade association?
- Flyer guy: All of them!
- Me: So you're expressing your first amendment rights against lawyers who help people express their first amendment rights?
- Flyer Guy: The people, united, will never be defeated!